The Government Law College Calicut was started in 1970. It is the third Government Law College in the State and is affiliated to the University of Calicut.
Facilities for the study of Law in Kerala date back to 1875, when part-time Law Classes were started in Trivandrum as part of the Maharaja’s College, Trivandrum with the intention of preparing students for the Law examinations of the Madras University. A separate college for Law was started in Trivandrum in 1894 and it got affiliated to the Travancore University when it was established in 1937. Consequent to the integration of Travancore and Cochin in 1949, the Law College was shifted to Ernakulam. In 1954, the Government started another Law College in Trivandrum which was subsequently affiliated to the University of Kerala. Till the state re-organisation, facilities for legal studies to the students of Malabar area were provided by the Madras Law College. In Madras, Law classes were formerly conducted at the Presidency College where even from 1855 there were Law’s Professors. The Law College at Madras was established in 1891. In 1953 a department of legal studies under a Director of Legal studies was established with the view of promoting legal education.